Networker

Re: [Networker] Errors labeling tapes?

2007-12-14 13:04:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] Errors labeling tapes?
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 13:01:59 -0500
Under Windows 2003, every time you reboot or make changes, it's possible
for the tape device name to change. For example \\.\tape0 might be a
different physical device every time you reboot the server, reset the
san switch, etc...

There are a couple of solutions.

1) Remove the jukebox from Network and re-add the devices. You can use
inquire to determine which tape drive is which by serial numbers, etc...

2) If they are IBM lto drives, you can use the latest IBM tape drivers
instead of the default windows ones. There is a setting in the release
notes that changes the driver. Once the changes are active, instead of
seeing \\.\tape0, etc..., you will see \\.\tapeSERIALNUMBER which won't
change.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
www.otaotr.com     | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139