Networker

Re: [Networker] oracle rman backup reports that file changed during backup?

2007-12-14 08:15:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] oracle rman backup reports that file changed during backup?
From: Ronny Egner <Ronny.Egner AT SIV DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 14:11:26 +0100
mark wragge schrieb:
I Just found this on the list which answers my question:
Oracle tablespaces in hot-backup mode are constantly changing, but the way they > change is known to oracle, so the backup files are good for recovery.
 > If you follow the correct Oracle procedure for how files are saved,
 > there wouldn't be a problem.  If they're not in hot-backup mode and
 > you're just grabbing the files, then they might not be consistent for
> recovery.

One question: As far as i know if you´re using rman you
should not see the datafiles being backed up directly. Instead you
are using rman which reads the database blocks and hands them over
to networker. The only file name you´ll see is the name of the rman
script being used.

So *if* you are using rman you definetly do not backup the datafiles
directly. However you can place the databse in hot backup mode and
backup the files directly - but for this you do not need the Oracle
Module as far as i know (i know there are modules for the OEM Networker
from Fujitsu Siemens which does Hot Backups; but the Oracle Module
from EMC does RMAN backups).

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ronny Egner
Diplom-Ingenieur (BA)
Systeme & Service
Oracle DBA

Telefon: +49 381 2524-422
Telefax: +49 381 2524-399

SIV.AG - Service für Informationsverarbeitung AG
Hauptsitz: Konrad-Zuse-Str. 1, 18184 Roggentin
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Rostock, HRB 8677, Ust.-IdNr.: DE 137477226
Vorstand: Jörg Sinnig (Vorsitzender), Andreas Lehmann, Arno Weichbrodt
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Thomas Huth

Aus Rechtsgründen ist die in dieser E-Mail gegebene Information nicht
rechtsverbindlich. Eine rechtsverbindliche Bestätigung reichen wir
Ihnen auf Anforderung in schriftlicher Form nach. Diese Nachricht ist
ausschließlich für den Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt.

The information contained in this email is not legally binding.
At your request, we will provide you with a legally binding confirmation
in written form. This message is intended solely for the addressee,
entity to which the email is addressed or the authorised agent.