Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.[3|4] savegroup hangs [was: Re: [Networker] 7.4.1 on solaris with zfs]

2007-12-14 07:40:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.[3|4] savegroup hangs [was: Re: [Networker] 7.4.1 on solaris with zfs]
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 07:32:46 -0500
On Dec 14, 2007, at 6:18 AM, Will Parsons wrote:

Davina,
A quick query on "savegroup hangs" if you don't mind - do you run your groups with "Index save" switched on or off for your main groups? I'm starting to experience similar, and am investigating the prospect of this being related to the end-of-group index save.

Of course, it might be to do with NMC not being able to get updates from my heavily loaded Networker server, but I'm hoping the new T2000 in Jan will assist on that front.

If you run NetWorker server with Solaris 10 consistently experience savegroups hanging at the end and only the step to save index data to tape remains, you are experiencing a bug that EMC knows about. In all likelihood, you can work around this bug quite nicely by making some system adjustments. When I was running NetWorker 7.4 on a Sun V480, I didn't have this problem, but when I upgraded hardware last month to a T2000 with Solaris 10, the problem began immediately. I don't know if this problem occurs with 7.3, but it sure does with 7.4 and EMC says its a known issue with only a very few sites being affected. I don't know if this applies to operating systems other than Solaris 10. I am pressed for time now, but if anyone wants to know the adjustments, let me know and I will post it here later today. Either way, you should definitely open a case with EMC. I can get you my case # if you wish when I get to my office.