Networker

Re: [Networker] Changing from storage node to regular client?

2007-11-27 12:39:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] Changing from storage node to regular client?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 17:34:39 +0000
MIchael Leone wrote:
So I have a couple Win2003 storage nodes, that don't need to be storage nodes anymore; they can become regular clients. (this will allow me to re-assign the disk space that these storage nodes are using, to other storage nodes that need it more). Eventually (soon) these servers will be retired; until then, tho, they can just be regular clients and I can back them up directly to tape.

SO: 1. Do I uninstall NetWorker, and then re-install and specify just client, and not storage node? Does this require a reboot on Windows (doubtful)? Doing this will cause the host ID to change, tho, and so I'd need to contact EMC licensing and get a new authorization code?

or:

2. Is there a way to "downgrade" a storage node to being just a client, without having it's host ID change, and without a reboot? I'd probably have to re-create the client in NetWorker master server, but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Am I missing anything here? Anything else to be aware of?

There's not really much you need to do. If you remove the tape or disk devices attached to this machine in NetWorker it is no longer a storage node.

There is no real need to de-install the storage node package from the machine, unless you are desperately short of space or it offends your sense of tidiness.

There is certainly no need to delete and re-create the client resource.

So because of this there is no need whatsoever for a reboot.