Networker

[Networker] Moving my Networker Server

2007-11-20 20:40:29
Subject: [Networker] Moving my Networker Server
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:37:21 -0800
Folks,

On Friday I plan to move my Networker Server to a new hardware platform
(including the current tape library).  The current server is Networker
7.2.2 running on Windows 2000.  I will install the same 7.2.2 version of
Networker on the new system which will run on Windows 2003.  Nothing
else will change (at this time anyway, we'll probably be adding an
Advanced File Device next spring).  Also, we will continue to backup up
the old server for the time being because of some other things that are
running on it.

In researching this on Powerlink I found a document (ID: esg67476) that
has the following basic steps:

1  Make a full backup of the source server.
        Suggested command "savegrp -l full -O -G grpname"

2 Move the software to the new server.
        Shut down both servers, move the tape library to the new server.
Reboot.  Install the Networker software and patches.  Configure a tape
device and load the bootstrap tape from step 1 in it.

3 Recover the bootstrap saveset to the new server.
        Use mmrecov to recover the media database and resource
configuration files to the new server.  Shut down the Networker daemons
and replace the existing resource files with the recovered resource
files.  Restart Networker.

4 Finish the Networker recovery on the new server.
        Add the new servers name to the Remote Access field of the old
servers client resource.  Use Saveset Recovery to restore the indexes to
the new server.  Run "nsrck -L6" to rebuild indexes.

5 Complete the move process.
        Get a new authorization code from EMC (15 days grace).  Fix any
references to the old server in the Server/Client resource records.

I'm sure there's some other things I will need to do, especially in step
5 but I can probably wing it at that point.  One thing I have to do is
fix the Index Locations for the clients.  Right now they are on the D:
drive and on the new system they will be on the C: drive.

So, if any of you out there have any additional advice for me to make
the move as smooth as possible I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, Dave

David Werth
Garmin AT, Inc
Salem, Oregon
dave.werth<at>garmin.com

use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error,
Thank you for your cooperation