Networker

Re: [Networker] Disk-based backups

2007-11-14 14:48:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] Disk-based backups
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:40:34 -0500
On Nov 14, 2007, at 1:30 PM, Goslin, Paul wrote:

Our experience with backing up to disk and then staging to tape has been
OK... You need to understand that it's like running your backups
twice... So if it takes 2 hours to run a group to disk, it will take
another 2 hours to stage those group save-sets to tape. First pass we
wrote the save-sets to an AFTD device, then the second pass staged them
from disk to tape (staging initiated on Windows NW server by scheduled
task), purging the staged save-sets from the disk once all the save- sets
were written to tape. Seems we had a few staging problems where the
staging process would sometimes crash before finishing, leaving some
save-sets on the disk to be manually staged to tape in order to finish
the process.. Some of the save-sets even got lost in this process due to
the issues we experienced.. It did not leave me with a secure feeling
overall... We now simply write everything directly to tape to keep
things easier to manage.

I have been doing staging via an advanced file type device for roughly two weeks. Last Friday, my ADVFS device ran out of space. This is with NetWorker 7.4 under Solaris 10. I was only staging to tape once a week, and I discovered that period was too long. Now, I stage the oldest save sets to tape every 9 hours. I have seen the throughput from disk to tape run around 70MBs, so I am very happy with that throughput. I just finished doing a test recover of 12GB worth of log files that were mostly on tape (Sony S-AIT) and some on disk. The recover only took a few minutes and it worked fine. The client where I did this test happens to be the server that hosts this list, which is a fairly old 1Ghtz Linux box.

The disk device is actually a Sun Fire X4500 and my server's licensed for 10TB worth of staging. This X4500 uses the same Sony tape library that our Sun T2000 NetWorker server uses. The tape library has 14 tape drives. Four tape drives are set up for dynamic drive sharing. Five are dedicated to the X4500 and the other five are dedicated to the T2000.