Networker

Re: [Networker] What order does NW clone ssids in?

2007-11-12 14:07:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] What order does NW clone ssids in?
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:06:52 +0000
On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 10:10:44PM -0500, George Sinclair wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If I create a list of ssids (/tmp/ssid.txt), and I run an nsrclone
> command as:
>
> nsrclone -s server -v -b 'clone pool' -S -f /tmp/ssid.txt
>
> What order does NW clone these save sets in?

> It seems it would be more efficient for NW to simply clone all the ssids
> that are on a given volume before loading the next one. In my case, I
> had 9 different tapes, several of which were swapped in and out several
> times during the cloning operation. Seems silly and unnecessary, but not
> sure how to get around this unless I create separate input files?

I'm guessing here that it finished one of the savesets on a source
tape.  Then while not in the middle of any ssids it picked another one
on another tape.  I'm not sure how to tell what that order is.  When
doing one volume clones, I've never seen it rewind, so normally it *is*
able to sequence the ssids properly.

In addition, I've given some long ssids (usually in numerical ssid
order) and seen it do what I thought was a minimal number of loads.  I
was doing multiplexing, so that may have affected things.

Can you turn up any verbosity and get any additional logging
information?  There might be some clues there....