Networker

Re: [Networker] Utilizing 2 adv_file devices in 1 pool

2007-11-06 20:51:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] Utilizing 2 adv_file devices in 1 pool
From: backup <backup AT zweistra DOT nl>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 02:45:17 +0100
If you look at the file system it self you'll see that there is a folder
(for the read only part) present
This makes it possible for the disk to be written at and read from at the
same time.
On a standard disk you can only do one thing at a time like on a tape.

If you want your disk to act like a sort of tape you should use standard
file system disk .
Are you using any other means of backup like real tapes than configure
staging of your data from advanced file system to tape after a certain
amount of time or if a maximum % of disk usage has been reached.
This will effectively move your data to tape after maximum threshold has
been reached

If you want the data to be overwritten you have to create a retention that
makes the data over the date before your disk (single) runs full ,as it
were.

All this info is available in the manuals but you need to play a round with
it a lot to really appreciate the possibilities in full :)