Networker

Re: [Networker] How to specify slot number of a library in a report?

2007-11-06 12:05:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to specify slot number of a library in a report?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:57:26 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] How to specify slot number of a library in a...:

As long as there is only 1 tape per day, this should work. If the
job goes
to 2 tapes (and it will), tho, I won't be able to auto-eject all the
volumes made for that day. When that happens, it will be easier to
have
the email tell him which slots to eject when he gets to the site.

Why? Wouldn't it be easier to have the operator simply eject based on
volume name, rather than slot #?

It might, at that. He'd still have to tell NetWorker to eject the tapes.
Guess I'm still used to using BackupExec, where we used to eject from the
front panel of the autochanger, based on slot number, and re-inventory the
library as needed. I suppose as long as he has the list of that day's
volumes (which we keep, as a record for our offsite tape management
service), he should have all he needs.

With an extra few minutes of work, you could do even better.  Instead of
providing your operator with a list of volume names and require that he or
she type in one or more commands correctly, generate the tape list to a
file, and then give your operators a script that withdraws all the tapes
in the list.

That way, your operators only need to type one command to get all the
tapes withdrawn.  You've reduced the chance for human error and made your
operator's life just a little easier.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)