Networker

[Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup

2007-10-30 03:31:28
Subject: [Networker] VTL or disk cabinet backup
From: Tim Verbois <Tim.Verbois AT ET.VLAANDEREN DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 08:31:17 +0100
Hello,

we bought a VTL recently, but now I'm asking myself: why a VTL, why not just Disks? Networker is perfectly capable of using Disk backups instead of the VTL. Disk backups have some advantages over VTL what I know:

- when cloning, it is not needed to skip the not used sessions when parallelism is high - possibility of purging recycled save sets on a disk device (1 good saveset on a tape makes it impossible to recycle the tape)

Why would you choose a VTL then?  Any thoughts?

Tim