Networker

Re: [Networker] How does Networker handle write-protected volumes ?

2007-10-22 12:24:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] How does Networker handle write-protected volumes ?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:18:01 +0100
westb wrote:
How does networker handle a write-protected volume when selecting a volume from
a library ?

Answer: Not very well. It seems to fixate on a particular tape and continue to try to label it until... well until someone stops it.

I've had networker select a tape that is write-protected and will continuously keep sending out alerts until a tape is manually labelled and mounted.

Same here.

I'm using auto media management.

It is still a problem even if you are not. It can be trying to relabel a recyclable tape that has been write-protected by accident or through ignorance and you will see the same problem.

I realize that it's possible to select a tape that is write-protected but why
can't it simply get another tape ?

What version of NetWorker are you using? I see this anal behaviour at 7.2.1, I did wonder if perhaps it had been improved at a later version, or am I being naive? Looks like an RFE is required.