Networker

Re: [Networker] NetApp

2007-10-12 09:55:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetApp
From: "Buerger, Andreas" <andreas.buerger AT WINCOR-NIXDORF DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:51:59 +0200
I would say it depends on your needs and your enviroment.
NetApp's snapshot technologies provide fast restore capabilities but
they don't fit to every enviroment and application.
At first I have to say our enviroment consists of 80% NAS and 20% SAN (5
% is FC and 15% is iSCSI) Storage.
In NFS and CIFS evironments it's very useful to have netapp's snapshot
technologies, in our SAN areas we also use snap technology, but with NAS
it's much easier. Most of our SAN Lun's are not backed up directly, the
hosts who own the luns are defined as normal nsr client ressources.
For special apps (exchange) we use snapshot technology, too.

Perhaps I can give an example how we use netapp & networker technology
together.

DB is hostet on a NFS Volume
DB Server is defined as a nsr client
We trigger the DB in Backup mode, create a snapshot on the nfs volume,
and if needed, we mirror the volume to another filer, based on the
created snapshot.
The Mirror is done via snapmirror. (This whole stuff is defined as a
saveset in the client and performed via a backup comand defined in the
client ressource)
If a full restore of the db is desired we can use snap restore to
restore the whole volume in less than 30s.

So just to make sure. When I'm talking about Snapvault I'm not talking
about backing up a client with OSSV, we just use Snapvault for mirroring
data between filers. This can give you an introduction of OSSV:
http://www.netapp.com/products/enterprise-software/data-protection-softw
are/backup-recovery/ossv.html

Some comments on netapp support and ontap releases:

We're really satisfied with netapp support, of course it's based on your
contract with netapp, but generally they provide very fast and good
support.
For example netapp autosupport is one very good thing...

Of course there are bugs in netapp's ontap releases, but tell me a
complex software or os without any problems and bugs.
We have experienced serveral issues and bugs, but not that much that I
would say, the whole stuff is too buggy for critical environments.

NetApp has many advantages but also disadvantages, as mentioned it does
not fit every need in everybodys IT structure.

Regards
Andreas