Networker

[Networker] Dedicated Storage Node vs. Storage Node

2007-10-05 08:19:13
Subject: [Networker] Dedicated Storage Node vs. Storage Node
From: "Willett, Jr., Edward W. (Contractor)" <Edward.W.WillettJr.contractor AT PMUSA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:14:21 -0400
In my environment we have several large clients (500+ GB) that are
backing up through the backup server at this time.  We are planning on
implementing either disk backups or a VTL and at that time we are going
to make these large clients storage nodes to take advantage of the 4GB/s
fiber that will be installed with whichever solution we decide on.  My
question is since these clients are only going to backing themselves up
does it make more since to make them dedicated storage nodes rather than
just storage nodes.  What are the advantages and disadvantages to each
approach.  I'm looking for real experiences rather than what is
documented out on EMC's web site.  I appreciate any input that anyone
can provide.

Eddie