Networker

[Networker] Phasing out tape media with new media

2007-10-04 10:03:33
Subject: [Networker] Phasing out tape media with new media
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:58:44 -0400
Is there anyone else on this list who is in a position where you have to upgrade tape media, especially those who need to replace Sony S- AIT1 media which is being EOLed next September? If so, you are in the same position I am in where you will have to look at options to phase out S-AIT1 media next year. I am wondering what approaches you are considering.

In my environment, I have a Sony PetaSite CSM-200 tape library with 14 S-AIT1 drives. We have one base cabinet (of course) with 12 tape drives, then tacked onto that is a 200C cabinet that's all tape slots, then on the end is a 200D cabinet with two drives in it, but provisions to add 10 more. All 14 drives are wired into a Solaris 9 server via a fibre channel switch. The Solaris 9 server is about to be replaced with a faster server running Solaris 10 and we plan to wire in another server to facilitate disk-to-disk-to-tape backups later this month. Out of the total slots in the tape library, 11 are reserved for cleaning tapes, 176 have yet to be filled with tape media, and the other 751 slots have tape media in them. These tapes are not sent off-site because the tape library is in a separate building from where the servers that are backed up to it are located.

So I am thinking of recommending getting a new 200D cabinet this fiscal year with as many S-AIT2 drives as our budget will allow; but at least two for starters. What I want to do is partition that cabinet off from the other three cabinets and hook a storage node up to it and use just that cabinet and storage node to back up to S-AIT2 media. This will avoid the age old problem of mixing different tape media in the same tape library.

My plan for the original three cabinets is to continue using the S- AIT1 media in them until they stop working and Sony refuses to support that media any more, then replace them with S-AIT2 media. This will allow us to phase out S-AIT1 to S-AIT2 over a period of at least two fiscal years, which is a big deal for us due to the weird way that budgets are structured here.

I am wondering what approaches others are taking. This same question applies to non-Sony media such as going from LTO-2 to LTO-3 or LTO-4.