Networker

[Networker] Multiple Issues with a Networker Datazone with 3 EDL's

2007-10-01 23:07:32
Subject: [Networker] Multiple Issues with a Networker Datazone with 3 EDL's
From: ct2msb <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:02:06 -0700
Environment:

Networker Server: 7.3.3.Build 510 on Solaris 10

3 x Storage Nodes: 7.3.3 Build 510 on Solaris 10

2 x Embedded Storage Nodes on  EDL 4100's with Disk Library version 3.0 build
1441 and patch 3Jan01_191111 Install update-dl144101 on one and patch
24May07_144332 Install update-dl144101 on the other

1 x EDL 210 with Disk Library version 3.01 build 1463 and patch 26Jul07_074958
Install update-os-dst01

1 Storage Node per EDL and each is in a different site.

We are having problems inventorying the jukeboxes, the following error comes up
for 3 drives consistently:

Tape label read for volume ? in pool ?, is not recognised by Networker: I/O
error

after a while the drives are disabled, but they still generate the above
message.

Once in this state we are unable to unmount the tapes in those drives (after
the drives have been re-enabled.) The tapes do show as in the drive on the EDL
console and can be unmounted from there (obviously not a desirable work around.)

Possibly related we also start to get the following messages from the inventory:

nsrjb: Info: Operation `Verify label' in progress on device
`rd=o22rrbksn02:/dev/nst2'
nsrjb: Info: Cannot read the current volume label `nsr server'
o22rrbkup02-srv.backup.client.local' cannot request from mmd 4'.

We are going to get the two EDL 4100's to the same patch rev, but it doesn't
appear the patch fixes any of the issues we are seeing. So, any suggestions,
fixes, or workarounds we can give a go?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

P.S. We do have support cases open with both EMC H/W and S/W support.