Networker

[Networker] VTL-Tape Capacity Issues

2007-09-27 12:11:39
Subject: [Networker] VTL-Tape Capacity Issues
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:05:39 -0400
Hello,
We have Netapp VTL700 with current OS, i have allocated all avallable
space on VTL to 1024 Tapes\64Drives ( LTO1)Networker is V 7.3.2 on Windows.
Tape capacity is 25 GB.
Lets take an expample i have one Tape on VTL Tape VTL001 with allowed
capacity of 25 GB, after compresion on VTL the actual space utilized on
the VTL is 18 GB.(After Tapes are being used by Networker)
ISSUE:
Networker is showing Tape used FULL ( 18 GB on VTL), i am gaining space on
VTL evual to compresion acheived, however, it seems that i can not use it
any way, since my configuration is created with fixed Tape number and
capacity.
How do other VTL with compresion work with Networker, unlike Phsical Tapes
VTL Tapes compressed capacity seems to get waisted on Netapp.
what do other vendors do with compresion, etc.
Solution:
I was thinking about re-creating VTL with heigher capacity Tapes i.e 50 GB
X 1024 Tapes, netapp allowes overallocation, do you think this would
resolve our issues, the other option is to add more Tapes in the existing
VTL , not sure this would work or not since all avallable storage capacity
was already assigned to the existing Tapes.
Thanks