Networker

[Networker] Tape Drivers & Windows

2007-09-20 13:07:01
Subject: [Networker] Tape Drivers & Windows
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 13:02:07 -0400
Hello,
>From time to time, due to hardware maintenance, server reboot, etc we know
that windows has tendency to re-sequence the drive letters, new IBM tape
drivers address this shortcoming in a way to persistently bind the Tapes
and Device names.
Often after firmware update on Adic the windows Tape drivers needs to get
installed again.
Question is, does it matter for Windows 2003 environment how the drivers
gets loaded for whatever reason, lets say that drivers are loaded starting
with Tape 4, then 1 then 2 etc. Will Legato drive mapping change following
subsequent reboot?
Vendor specifies to load the driver via setup program, however, would
does it matter?
Environment in question has Neap VTL & Adic i2k Tape lib, over 60 Virtual
and 8 Physical devices, one master server two storage node etc.
All the drivers are FC attached on the SAN and we do use persistent
binding on FC cards.
in related to networker, I do think the new Wizard does configure
automatically (7.3 onwards) and assign the devices correctly.
What has been practice in loading Tape drivers and best?