Networker

Re: [Networker] how to use nsrjb to load, unload tapes in ndmp environment

2007-09-18 17:17:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] how to use nsrjb to load, unload tapes in ndmp environment
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:12:13 +0200
Stan Horwitz wrote:
On Sep 18, 2007, at 8:43 AM, Vernon Harris wrote:

Interesting,
So you are running remote NDMP, where your library is
connected to the networker server and you backup the
nas server over the network???

We back up six servers using NDMP, but they aren't really NAS servers, they are Mirapoint message stores, but NetWorker considers them NAS servers, and we back up all six over a single 1GB network line. Yes, it is slow, but I am not sure the bottleneck is our network; I think its our NetWorker server.

We backup two NetApp filers (FAS3050 and FAS940) over a single GE link to a Sun 280R (2x750Mhz UltraSparcIII), which has LTO-3 drives (with LTO-2 cartridges). It runs at ~30Mb/s which is what you should get with LTO-2 anyhow. Naturally, we back them each at a different time. We are happy with this solution because it doesn't require that we will dedicate expensive drives just for NDMP. This way each of our four drives can do both regular or NDMP backups. With this setup, you don't even need to mention NDMP in jbconfig (all drives are regular drives). If you would want to backup faster (LTO-3 drives), you would probably need a faster server and network (anyhow, NDMP can really saturate your filer's CPU as well).

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or

-- Yaron.