Networker

Re: [Networker] VTL

2007-09-17 13:19:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] VTL
From: storagedoctor <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:17:23 -0700
Ed,

As an independent consultant, I have worked with many clients who have
researched, implemented and utilized VTL systems from many companies.
As the market has become very mature, it should make your quest for a solid
technology investment a bit easier.

As for EMC VTL vs SUN VTL, as you've already stated, these are both utilizing
FalconStor software.  Realistically, with respect to the key VTL technology,
this is really a coin-flip, as there is very little difference in the core
technology, other than different branded back-end disk and the server platforms
that they run on.  In fact, IBM uses FalconStor as well.

I would pick either EMC or SUN based on the merits of your current vendor
relationship (ie, how well has either SUN or EMC helped you over the years in
Backup issues).  From there, I would strongly encourage looking at SEPATON's
VTL, as it is known to be the leader in performance and scalability.  Their
solution is based on their own software.  If you are at all interested in being
able to add de-duplication to your VTL, compare SEPATON's DeltaStor to the Data
Domain that Patrick speaks about.  Ironically, EMC and SUN don't offer clear
de-duplication offerings.

I have worked with many clients that have installed EMC CDL and have expressed
a bit of frustration, as it is not easy to upgrade (usually a fork-lift) and
tends to chew up disk space. (what a surprise !!).

Good luck...

Mark Haynes
Data Storage Consultant