Networker

Re: [Networker] Networkers utilization of multiple processors ?

2007-09-15 04:45:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networkers utilization of multiple processors ?
From: Dag Nygren <dag AT NEWTECH DOT FI>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:40:33 +0300

> On 2007-09-15 11:16, Dag Nygren revealed:
>
> DN> > On 2007-09-15 03:40, Dag Nygren revealed:

> DN> > Or Solaris, which has better tape support IMO. :P
> DN> It might, but then you need new hardware.
>
> You do? Why? I'm thinking solaris x86 here. Sure, hardware support isn't
> as wide as in Linux, but on the other hand, you will get real responses
> from Sun (hopefully anyway), instead of having to email whoever wrote the
> driver for the linux kernel and pray that he/she will bother. :)

Sorry, didn't think of that. Haven't seen a single on of those yet...

Anyway you can always fix the driver yourself in Linux, but not in
Solaris ;-). Instead of fighting with first level support sending
in useless logs (Right Oscar? ;-) )
Or what is the status of the Solaris Open Source at  moment?

> DN> > And one of the new features in the latest Windows 2003 service pack is
> DN> > that network I/O can now be handeled by several CPUs, which might be a
> DN> > good thing on a networker server, if you don't want to switch to a real
> DN> > OS. Or at least one that is better suited for networker and backups. :)
> DN> Indeed 2003 is overall handling the Networker load better than 2000
> DN> even without the newest service pack. This because 2000 has a huge
> performance
> DN> problem because of networking and  tape access competing for the same
> DN> buffer pool; Generally limits the throughput of the Networker server
> DN> to a total average of 20MB/s (SCSI) or about 30 MB/s (FC).
>
> Oh. Then why are people running networker on windows 2000 at all? :P And I
> know there is a PC and a non-PC answer to that question. ;)

Very good question.

Best
Dag