Networker

[Networker] Recommended Save mount timeout and Save lockout values?

2007-09-14 17:06:17
Subject: [Networker] Recommended Save mount timeout and Save lockout values?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 17:00:24 -0400
Hi,

We have two storage nodes, and I'd like clients to be able to write to either, so I list both under the 'Storage nodes' field for a given client, but the default always tries the first storage node in the list and only goes to the second one if the given pool specifies the devices for that snode only. To get around this, I changed the default Save mount timeout and Save lockout values from 30 and 0 respectively to 2 and 1, and this works but just curious if anyone has any recommended values to use? Is 2 and 1 too low?

It would really be nice if NW allowed you to customize the Storage nodes field for a specific NSR client resource without effecting the others. Seems as soon as you set it for one resource, it sets all the resources for that client to be the same and in the same order. As a result, if you have one NSR client resource that you want to write to only one snode, and you want the other resources for that client to be able to write to either then the only way you can control that is by the group and pool, but that won't work if the given pool is a general one wherein you don't specify specific devices ... sigh.

George

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210