Networker

Re: [Networker] differential OR SE/LVD tape library

2007-09-14 10:58:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] differential OR SE/LVD tape library
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:54:08 +0000
On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:58:58AM +0100, mark wragge wrote:
> I have a tape library that is differential. The library is being moved to a
> new server but the SCSI interface on the new server is SE/LVD. The library
> can be changed to be a SE/LVD by changing the cabling on the back of it as
> detailed in the library documentation.
>
>   Is it this simple to change the library to SE/LVD?

If it says it is, then I suppose it's possible.  Most of the ones I've
had that allowed changes basically required a module be swapped out.
One had an internal setting for it that needed to be flipped.

> Are the tape devices in the library engineered to be DIFF or SE/LVD or
> can they work in either mode. The librayr is a HP Storage Works MX300
> and the tape device is HPC1113 m(worm).

You can get drives of either persuasion (but it's rare to see HVD these
days).  However many libraries can be set up so the hosts talk to the
library, and it's passed on to the drives.  This isn't necessarily the
highest performance, but it could be used so the library allows HVD
drives to be seen by an LVD host.  But that really depends on the
specifics of the library and the connections.  Most libraries
(especially smaller, cheaper ones) will not even have that as an option.

Finally, it's expensive, but there are HVD/LVD converter boxes that can
sit in-line between an HVD and an LVD device.  That can be the solution
in some cases.