Networker

Re: [Networker] New server?

2007-09-12 15:25:26
Subject: Re: [Networker] New server?
From: Ken Gehring <ken.gehring AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 13:20:32 -0600
Not sure if this helps, but we have a HP rp4410 6GB memory, single
dual-core CPU (1GHz) (soon to be upgraded), 3 dual channel 1GB network
cards, 2 single channel Fiber Channel cards and 2 unused dual channel
SCSI cards (to be replaced with 2 dual channel F/C cards). The library
has 10 LTO3 fiber attached tape drives (which is why we are swapping
our the SCSI cards). We run hpux 11.11 v1 and networker 7.2.2. All in
all we are happy with it. We can get 200GB/sec throughput to the tapes
and hope to do better with more F/C ports.

As to why not using VM instances, they don't connect to the Fiber
Channel drives very well.
We did play around with using a VM instance as the networker server
controlling physical storage nodes and concluded "why bother". I just
added another mount point for a copy of /nsr and use rsync to keep it
up to date.

Ken

On 9/12/07, Sid Shapiro <sid_shapiro AT bio-rad DOT com> wrote:
> Stan (et al)
>
> I didn't really want to get into the details of the system configs. But
> the current config is the HP system as I stated - around 160 clients (unix
> and windows), lots of oracle databases, but not using the networker oracle
> module.  The only actual separate module is for lotus notes. Our current
> library is an lto-1 4/40, but will be replaced. We are also using a data
> domain 460.
>
> I was hoping for some general perceptions of the "best", or at least
> better system to run on. We will probably be also setting up some storage
> nodes with backup devices SAN connected for the larger clients - HP versus
> Solaris.
>
> I'm curious about why no VM? Any specific reasons? We are running lots of
> VMs in production - some oracle DB databases, oracle apps, and various
> other apps.
>
> Thanks,
> / Sid /
>

> EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> 09/11/2007 04:54:12 PM:
>
> > On Sep 11, 2007, at 7:32 PM, Sid Shapiro wrote:
> >
> > > Hi ,
> > >
> > > I'm currently running networker 7.1.1 on an hp-ux 11.11, 2*440Mhz
> > > pa-risc,
> > > 4 gb ram. I want to upgrade both the server hardware as well as the
> > > networker software. I'm considering a sun t2000 (sparc) or a hp rx2620
> > > (itanium). Or maybe some form of linux system?
> > >
> > > Any thoughts as to which platform might be better for networker?
> > > How about
> > > the idea of running a server on a VMWare host linux? How about the
> > > migration of the indexes from hp to Solaris or linux - any gotchas?
> >
> > Sid;
> >
> > I doubt that even EMC would recommend running a NetWorker server
> > under a virtual VMware host. Before anyone on this list can make any
> > recommendations, we need to know about your environment. What kind of
> > tape library to you have, or will you be doing backups only to disk?
> > How many clients do you back up nightly and how much data? What type
> > of clients do you handle (e.g., Windows, Solaris, NetApp, SQL,
> > Oracle, etc.)?
> >
> > To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu
> > and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write
> > to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems
> > with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.
> > temple.edu/archives/networker.html or
> > via RSS at http://listserv.temple.edu/cgi-bin/wa?RSS&L=NETWORKER

> this list. You can access the archives at

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
--Benjamin Franklin