Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up /var/run?

2007-09-12 12:39:21
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up /var/run?
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 08:35:39 -0700
> I notice that /var/run doesn't get backed up on our primary backup
> server (Solaris 9), but recover does list the directory itself, but no
> contents for /var/run. Everything else under /var looks to be there,
> though.

But /var is a separate filesystem from /var/run on the machine, correct

> Also, I notice that a Sun client (Solaris 9) that I ran a level
> full on last night doesn't even list /var/run, but again, everything
> else under /var looks to be listed in the recover window. Both clients
> use the Unix standard directives. There are no client side directives. I
> then checked several other Sun clients (all Solaris 10), and running
> recover on those does show /var/run but again, no contents. Perhaps,
> /var/run is simply something that NW would not back up, but I do see
> that it's backed up on our Linux clients. Hmm ...

The solaris default is for /var/run to be a tmpfs filesystem, so I
wouldn't expect anyone to have information in there that would require
backup.

# df -k /var/run
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
swap                 2834776      24 2834752     1%    /var/run

> Also, interesting that the one Sun client running Solaris 9 doesn't even
> list /var/run, but the other ones running Solaris 10 do at least list
> the directory even though there's nothing backed up under it.

Probably a difference with explicit excludes versus simply not backing
up the contents of a tmpfs filesystem.