Networker

Re: [Networker] Oracle backup query

2007-09-11 09:11:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Oracle backup query
From: Ronny Egner <Ronny.Egner AT SIV DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:08:44 +0200
Vince Howard schrieb:
Hi,
I'm new to Oracle backups and would like to ask the list's help. I'm led to believe that it's a good idea to backup an Oracle DB's
control file to disk so that it is backed up as a flat file by NetWorker
(instead of, or as well as, backing it up via NMO).  While I do have a
RMAN script to backup a DB via NetWorker, I am not sure how to include a
section to backup the control file to the local disk.  Could someone
take a look at the script below and suggest how a control file backup to
disk could be added?  You will note that the control file is already
included for backup by NMO.
connect target blah/ <mailto:blah/sys@RBTRAIN1> blah <mailto:blah/sys@RBTRAIN1> @DBTRAIN1 <mailto:blah/blah@DBTRAIN1> connect rcvcat blah <mailto:blah/sys@RBTRAIN1> /
<mailto:rman/rman@RCVCAT> blah <mailto:blah/sys@RBTRAIN1> @RCAT
<mailto:blah/blah@RCAT> run {
    set command id to 'DBTRAIN1_INCR';
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
    allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE';
backup incremental level = 1
        filesperset 2
        format '%d_INCR_%s_%t'
        (database include current controlfile);
release channel t1;
    release channel t2;
}

One - but highly important addition - *always* switch your redo log
after you performed the backup *and* backup your archive log files!!
You´ll need them to recover the database so its a good idea to do this
right after taking the full/incremental backup.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Ronny Egner
Diplom-Ingenieur (BA)
Systeme & Service
Oracle DBA

Telefon: +49 381 2524-422
Telefax: +49 381 2524-399

mailto:ronny.egner AT siv DOT de
http://www.siv.de

Aus Rechtsgründen ist die in dieser E-Mail gegebene Information nicht
rechtsverbindlich. Eine rechtsverbindliche Bestätigung reichen wir Ihnen auf Anforderung in schriftlicher Form nach. Diese Nachricht ist ausschließlich für den
bezeichneten Adressaten oder dessen Vertreter bestimmt.

The information contained in this email is not legally binding. At your request, we will provide you with a legally binding confirmation in written form. This
message is intended solely for the addressee, entity to which the email
is addressed or the authorised agent.