Networker

Re: [Networker] RPC Timeouts on Full backup.

2007-09-10 18:02:15
Subject: Re: [Networker] RPC Timeouts on Full backup.
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:56:32 -0700
>     All of our full backups work perfectly except with 2 of our
> clients.   Both give error messages that look like this:
>
> > * easter:/easter 2 retries attempted
> > * easter:/easter save: RPC error: RPC send operation failed.  A network
> > connection could not be established with the host.
> > * easter:/easter lost connection to server, exiting
> >
> And both partitions are the only partitions having single files larger
> than 40G.   Could size be the issue here.   Right now I'm running an indexed
> archive on the file system in question on one of the computers.

Can you log into the client and see if a 'save' is running?  If so, I'd
want to strace/truss/par it to see what it was doing.  What's the client
OS?

If it's not running, I'd run the savegrp in verbose mode to see the
exact 'save' command being run, then run that by hand on the client
(again, trying to trace it to see what's causing it to die).

Any messages on the client?