Networker

[Networker] Networker reporting

2007-09-07 10:49:37
Subject: [Networker] Networker reporting
From: Jerome Blomart <j.blomart AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 16:34:23 +0200
I have serveral problems generating reports for our scheduled backups.

Using netwroker management console, a report is already sent to the ITS
manager.
But several questions are asked about this report:

Including space taken, volumes taken and time taken for the whole backup (
group(s) ) AND keeping the same detail for the servers...
As i searched the networker management console, i could not find the sizes
and time taken for eac servers

Some server are considered as backed up correctly by the "nmc" although when
performing an mminfo show that i have no savesets for the server

Some backups are not acknowleged dring backups ... "nmc", working good,
reports a failed backup.
When looking into the "nmc" the savesets are "valid and Full"

==> As those question are asked every morning after recieving the nmc
mail...
I have wrote a report giving me all the savesets created since yesterday (
or since friday ) and formating them according to ssflag of the savesets.

ex:
Server_Test
    saveset: creation time ( converted nsavetime ), group, ressource ( the
name of the saveset ), size ( converted to b,Kb,Mb,Gb...), volume, status (
ssflags)

--> Answer "Yes, But..."
==> this report only gives created savesets... it does not compare what have
been done with what had to be done

Ok, so i should know every ressources that should be backed up before making
the report.

The NSR client configuration into nsradmin does not always gives what should
be backed up on the client ( when 'All' is specified  then every thing
should be backed up )

The savegrp command using the -p witch can return me what would be backed up
on a client and with a certain group
Using this command i indeed have a list of filesystems saved...
The savegrp command always reports the "system files:\" backup whith a full
level ( i am ok with that ) BUT the backups are showing the system files
savesets for a limited group of servers and i had got no "logging" of any
SYSTEM FILES backups for these servers.

As a result the report i wrote shows about 30% of the servers as Complete.

Since i started playing with savegrp probes ... the logging of the actual
backup is compromised:
i ran "savegrp -pvm %GROUP%" and the group details are overwritten in
nwadmin:
- the start time is always the start time of the actual backup, but the
content of the details is overwritten with a "skip" for all filesystems...

I have then one question:
HOW TO: probe or get the filesystems that would be backed up on a networker
client if its configuration is saying "All"
WITHOUT: overwritting the group logging
... being able to run this on a non-networker server would be ... great...

 Thanks every one