Networker

Re: [Networker] Backing up Mixed ACL's

2007-09-06 13:26:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backing up Mixed ACL's
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 09:20:45 -0700
> We're looking at the feasability of backing up a NetApp file system that
> uses both UNIX style ACL's and CIFS ACL's.

Do you really mean UNIX ACLs, or just the traditional unix permissions
block (ugo)?

While the file system may support both, each individual file supports
only one at a time.

> If I back it up as an NFS mount on the UNIX side, the CIFS ACL's are
> lost upon restore.

Unless you're using v4 (and I'm not sure even then), the ACLs are lost
on backup.  Traditional NFS has no room for the information.  The CIFS
ACLs are "converted" on any NFS access to something best it can do, but
information is lost.

> If I back it up as a CIFS mount on the Windows side, the Unix ACLs'
> are lost upon restore.

While NFS permissions are gathered by a CIFS backup, if you're on a
'mixed' qtree, then the CIFS restore is going to create a CIFS ACL
block rather than the NFS one.  So you effectively convert the file from
UNIX style to CIFS style.

Yet another problem with 'mixed'...

> Is there a way of backing up this file system via Networker that preserves
> both ACL's? Can NDMP do this?

NDMP will keep (and restore) all the information.