Networker

Re: [Networker] Tapes Accidentally labeled

2007-08-23 18:19:27
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tapes Accidentally labeled
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:16:09 -0700
> I have some backups that I only have one copy of.  One of the junior admins
> on my team accidentally labeled the tape in networker.  Is there any way at
> all to retrieve the data off the tape or is it lost forever now that the
> tape has been labeled?
>
> Eddie

Most consumer drives will refuse to read any data past the last written
point.  Since the label writes to the front of the tape, all the data
past that is inaccessible.  There have been tales about folks
overwriting the current EOT mark, then powering off the drive so that
another is not written, then trying to read it again.  I've never had
luck with that method, instead getting synchronization errors.

However, there's certainly data on the tape that was not physically
destroyed.  Because they have access to different hardware, it is very
likely that a recovery house could access the data for you, if you have
the $$ to spend.