Networker

Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?

2007-08-17 09:43:52
Subject: Re: [Networker] new to Virtual Tape Library - what are the benefits?
From: Adrian Saul <asaul AT HOME-BOX.ODS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:43:11 +1000
We trialed a Netapps VTL - I didnt use it, but the reports from the guys who used it (and know their stuff) was that the Netapps virtual to physical staging "just worked" - very hands off and reliable.

Andrew Quintana wrote:
The problem with letting the CDL handle staging to physical tape is a
matter of tape usage and capacity.  Since the compression ratio you'll
get on physical tape is dependent on the data being written, it can't be
reliably predicted.  So when the EMC CDL creates virtual tapes it limits
them to a pre-determined size (which you can change).  By default CDLs
do not compress the data they write to the virtual tape, which is good
because of the huge performance penalty they take when compressing data.

As an example, say you have LTO-3 tapes, with 400 GB native/~800GB
compressed capacity.  If you emulate LTO-3 tapes in the CDL it will
default to 400 GB capacity, which is not compressed in any way.  When
the CDL migrates data to a directly attached physical library, it does
it on a volume by volume basis.  So your 400 GB of data on a virtual
tape will be migrated to a physical LTO-3 tape which will compress in
hardware.  You will end up filling only ~50-60% of that physical tape.
You can force the virtual tapes to larger sizes to try to compensate, at
the risk of data migration failing because a particular virtual volume's
data will not compress as well as you have predicted.  You save an
autochanger license, but use twice as much physical tape.  You save on
the licensing and support costs, but pay more for media and extra time
spent shuffling tapes.

It's a trade-off.  I prefer to run the CDL and the physical autochanger
side-by-side.  You have to license them both, but you gain the ability
to fully use your physical media by cloning/staging in Networker, which
is saveset-based.  In addition, you can always run some backups directly
to physical tape which you couldn't do if the physical autochanger was
hidden behind the CDL.

YMMV.  I can only speak from experience with CDLs, other VTLs may
differ.  I haven't gotten a chance to play with the latest CDLs yet, so
I don't know what EMC might have done regarding this issue.

Andy