Networker

Re: [Networker] nsradmin weirdness

2007-08-15 16:48:54
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsradmin weirdness
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 16:45:42 -0400
Darren Dunham wrote:
I have several clients that are no longer members of any groups, but an 'nsradmin' query reports them as being members of two different active groups. I checked these clients under nwadmin, and there are no groups selected. Furthermore, I also ran nsradmin, went into visual mode, and looked at each client. Again, no groups are selected for these guys.

Here's the nsradmin command:

nsradmin> show name
nsradmin> print type: NSR client;  group: group_name

Do these clients exist in multiple instances or only a single instance.
That in itself shouldn't cause any of this, but it does increase the
complexity of the output, so it's easier to misinterpret it.

One of the clients has two NSR client resources, the others only one.
You should show group as well as name.  That way you can see if nsradmin
is really seeing the group setup that way, or if it's just selecting
them incorrectly.

If I run an nsradmin query for each of the clients, say something like 'print type: NSR client; name: client' then I notice that it reports ';' for the group name for the clients. This is exactly what I would expect to see when there are no groups selected, so that jibes with reality since these clients have no groups selected. However, when I run 'print type: NSR client; group: group_name' these clients still get reported, but the group name that reports is still ';'. Very odd. The one client that is in fact a member of the group does report which makes sense, but it's almost as if NetWorker is just reporting these other clients because they're not members of any group which makes no sense. Furthermore, there are some other clients that are not members of any groups, but those are not reported.

I also ran the last command for every active group, and only the correct clients are reported for those groups, so it's just this one group that seems to be the problem.
Can you add one of the clients into some of the groups and see if the
groups that nsradmin reports for it changes?  That should provide some
more information about what is occuring.

I added each of them to at least one other group, and the groups that nsradmin reports for these changes from ';' to the actual group or groups I selected which is what I'd expect. Then, when I run that last nsradmin query for the problem group, these clients are no longer reported. That makes sense since they're not members of that group, but as soon as I remove them from the temporary groups that I selected (they're now back to being members of no groups), the nsradmin query reports them again with their group name specified as ';'. Sheesh!
It reports several clients that are indeed members of the group, but it also reports several that are not. Hmm .... Anyone have any ideas on why this would be and/or how to fix this? Possible corruption? I haven't tried deleting the clients yet. Maybe that would resolve it? Not sure how long this has been this way, but this is the first time I ran this particular query so who knows.

I've not seen anything similar to this behavior so far.

--
George Sinclair - NOAA/NESDIS/National Oceanographic Data Center
SSMC3 4th Floor Rm 4145       | Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210