Networker

Re: [Networker] Jukebox CAP door status

2007-08-14 19:49:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] Jukebox CAP door status
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:45:13 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Jukebox CAP door status, Siobhán Ellis said...:

To answer the question, there isn't a way for you to do it (That I know of)

I'm not aware of any way to do it using NetWorker commands either, but
depending on the platform and the library, it might be pretty easy to get
that information using OS commands.

Our CAP is almost never open these days, so I haven't tried to figure out
how to detect that, but with a Linux-based NetWorker server, I would start
with sg_logs (SCSI LOG SENSE).  You can read the Tape Alerts log page(s)
from your jukebox using that, but you probably need the SCSI reference
manual for your library to be able to interpret what you get back from
the LOG SENSE.

For example, with an STK SL500 library (which we don't have, but I have
the reference manual handy), if you do a LOG SENSE for the Tape Alerts,
you can look at flag 0x10 to see if the library door is open:

    0010h    Library Door    Set if the door has been opened, and no
                             library motions are allowed. When the door
                             is closed, the library will IPL.

If you're on Linux and have the sg_utils package installed and your robot
is addressable as /dev/sg0, then running

        sg_logs -p=2e /dev/sg0

will dump the (first) TapeAlerts page.

Beware: querying the TapeAlerts resets any that are true (1) back to false
(0), so the act of looking changes the state (the "observer effect").

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                        Tim.Mooney AT ndsu DOT edu
Information Technology Services                   (701) 231-1076 (Voice)