Networker

[Networker] Speaking of logging...

2007-08-14 17:44:05
Subject: [Networker] Speaking of logging...
From: "Clark, Patti" <Clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:39:59 -0400
I have to ask the question now that dfields brought it up...

I'm currently v7.3.2 Red Hat Enterprise Linux v4 Networker Server.  It
was sometime in the past when logging to /nsr/logs/messages and/or
summary was used and these files currently exist out of the install
package.  However, they are not used by this version of Networker.  The
daemon.log is still present and used.  My issue is that
/var/log/messages is the dumping (logging) location for the Networker
messages making it far more difficult to monitor the health of the
overall system, let alone manage saveset issues and the sort for
Networker client configurations.  I'd already found the entries in
/etc/syslog.conf and was looking at ignoring the warnings about changes.
Has anyone tackled this issue, yet?  Then there is the dump to
/dev/console which is rather silly on headless servers.  Are we talking
about mangling the startup script here?

Patti Clark
Unix System Administrator - RHCT
Office of Scientific and Technical Information
"The U.S. Constitution doesn't guarantee happiness, only the pursuit of
it. You have to catch up with it yourself." - Benjamin Franklin