Networker

Re: [Networker] Troubleshooting a tape drive

2007-08-03 15:15:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Troubleshooting a tape drive
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:18:59 +0100
Stan Horwitz wrote:
On Aug 3, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Warren Sturm wrote:

On Fri, 2007-08-03 at 09:06 -0400, Stan Horwitz wrote:
On Aug 3, 2007, at 8:50 AM, Davina Treiber wrote:

Stan wrote:

I am trying to troubleshoot a problem where nsrjb is too slow,
so I
need to verify that the OS can utilize the tape library.

What do you mean when you say "nsrjb is too slow"? Are you seeing long
delays before it moves the tape? What version of Red Hat is it? 2.4
kernel or 2.6?

If it is 2.6 it is a known issue, solution previously posted on
this list.

Davina;

Do you have  any idea when this subject turned up? I don't recall. I
searched for "nsrjb slow" "nsrjb linux" and a few similar terms and I
get nothing relevant.

You can search for the string NONBLOCK and it will pull up about 4 hits.

I see references to adding the o_NONBLOCK option to st-driver, but I have no clue where that is on my system. How do I modify the st-driver? Google shows lots of hits, but so far, none actually explain where the st-driver is located and how to change it on RH AS 4.

Stan,

In the absence of a vendor supplied kernel for this issue, you need to enter into the true spirit of Linux, and build and install a patched kernel.

You will need to install the kernel sources RPM. The file you need to modify will be something like /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/st.c. You will then need to configure and install the kernel for your system. Probably slightly easier said than done, but at least there is plenty info on the web about how to configure and build a custom kernel.

D.