Networker

[Networker] Un-supported clustering for a Networker server

2007-08-01 13:06:37
Subject: [Networker] Un-supported clustering for a Networker server
From: Will Parsons <w.parsons AT LEEDS.AC DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 17:57:19 +0100
Hi All,
I'm in the process of replacing our current Networker servers (SUN E280R's) with two SUN T2000 servers. I'd like to take the opportunity to improve our ability to recover from loss of the Master Server.

At present the theory is that Master server and one of the Storage nodes are both zoned in to see the (SAN based) /nsr partition. If we lost the Master server, the storage node should be able to take over the role of the master (given a little coaxing & license manipulation).

I was hoping to move towards something a little better this time round, and would ideally like to have Networker not care which of the boxes is running as the "Master Server". I know this is supported with Power Edition & proper cluster software, but I don't think I can justify the upgrade to Power Edition just for this. I don't think it'll be a problem to get the licenses valid for both boxes using "failover hostid" licensing.

So, the question now is: Has anyone used Networker Server in an un-supported cluster config?? Looks like it should be possible using "nsrd -k floatingname", /usr/sbin/Networker.clustersvr, and perhaps some hacking of "lcmap".....

Thoughts welcome.

From
Will

--