Networker

[Networker] Prioritisation within save groups

2007-07-31 03:24:14
Subject: [Networker] Prioritisation within save groups
From: Tim Nicholson <tim AT MAIL.USYD.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:20:26 +1000
I am having problems with the client priorities in a savegrp.

Every since the nsrjobsd was added to NetWorker my priority
scheduling has broken.

Before nsrjobsd, a savegrp with parallelism of 6 say would
run a save set from each of the 6 clients in the group with
the lowest "priority" attribute of the "NSR client" resource.
As each client finished, it would start the client with the
next lowest "priority".  When it ran out of clients, it would
start running parallel sessions (up to the client parallelism)
to complete the remaining save sets.

With nsrjobsd, this has all changed, and I have not found how
the "priority" affects the queueing - or anything else that
may give me some control.

With a large number of clients (>400), we need to put them all in
a few groups, to ensure the server parallelism is not exceeded.
[If the sum of the running savegrp parallelism values exceeds the
server parallelism you get all sorts of problems with timeouts.]

What I want to do is have some clients run early in the group
and others run late.  The "priority" attribute worked really
well for this before "nsrjobsd".  Does the fount of all
NetWorker knowledge (this list) know how to achieve this
with NetWorker 7.3.2 Jumbo build 386 Network Edition?

Tim Nicholson Helpdesk Telephone: +61 2 9351 6000
Information & Communication Technologies H08
University of Sydney NSW 2006 E-mail: tim AT mail.usyd.edu DOT au
Australia