Networker

Re: [Networker] Sungard DR testing

2007-07-30 09:18:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Sungard DR testing
From: Fazil Saiyed <fazil.saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:14:46 -0400
Hello,
Typically, your company will contract for time allocated for the test, it
could be 4,8,or 24 hrs or even more.
I usually have them prebuild the OS ( we are on Windows),so withen 15
minutes or so once we get started i have the OS and service packs loaded.
Its a good practice to have your DR plan ready, plan ahead, have your
recovery prority mapped out, it may not be possible to recover everything
during DR so narrowing down the exact requirement beforehand might save
you lots of hassle.Remember to follow the Networker DR guide build
information, keeping in mind that you need exact same drive letter and
install directory path as in production for sucessfull recovery.
Working with different hardware, enviroment can be challenging as well as
rewarding, depending on your configuration ( SAN attach, local drives etc)
the goal is get networker server ready to recover after mmrecov withen 1st
hr. ( pay special attention to ducument your networker config and getting
name resolution correct, as it could be the major time waster)
I only recover the indexes selectively of the clients that do need to be
tested, recovering data to local server vs network can be faster, however,
if you need to save networker recover logs for later analysis you should
recover from the client ( if doing multiple restores at the same time, i
belive this restirction where networker overwrites recover logs is lifted
in version 7.4)
Depending on how you backed up to begin with the multiplxing could slow
down the recover a lot, having a Tape Lib is very usefull vs standalone
drives as you will save time when networker needs to switch the tapes
repeatedly.
Optain CD's, cleaning Tape, thumdrive etc to assist you during DR, as you
may want to take home some logs.
Lastly, make sure your application testing team is kept aware of the
recovery progress as when they start arriving sooner they can put some
pressure on you to finish recoveres when you may not be ready for them,
set some timeline as  who gets to the offsite.
Good luck