Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance Tuning backup

2007-07-27 13:37:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance Tuning backup
From: dfields <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:14:23 -0700
Make sure all your NIC cards are set to use TOE.

You mentioned you have a SAN.  How is it connected, FC, or iSCSI?  Using a SAN
will add some latency  (not much, but some).

How is the data arranged on SAN?  Do you split the Notes data across different
directories/LUNS (ie, are all the database on the same SAN lun, or on multiple
luns?).  If on multiple LUNS, you could have a SAN bottleneck somewhere.  Not
sure how your SAN is configured, but you might have multiple LUNS that are
spread across the SAME physical disks.  If that's the case, then all your
streams are coming from the same physical disks, and that's just going to cause
them to thrash.  Note, you may not be able to tell how your LUNS are spread
out.  Depends on the SAN.

We've seen this on servers with locally attached storage that had one big RAID
5 volume, but was split up into several logical drives for windows (C, D, E,
...).  When the backups start, Networker opens a stream for each drive, but
they are really just the same physical drive, which really slows down the
backups.

Are your Networker server and the Notes server on the same switch, or do you
have to route the packets?

Are you using jumbo frames?  If so are you sure that everything on that LAN
segment is using jumbo frames.

Dave