Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance Tuning backup

2007-07-26 11:00:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance Tuning backup
From: E Gold <egold AT FSA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:57:22 -0400
> Hard to tell without a bit more information. How many of your tape
> drives are in use during the backup?

2 are in use.

 How many sessions are being
> written?

8 sessions are being written.

> What is the observed write speed on each drive?

10 mb/sec, sometimes upto 15, but usually 10.

> What is the parallelism setting for the client?

it is set to 8 for parallelism.

> It's possible that lowering the target sessions may improve the overall
> speed, possibly at the expense of throughput on individual drives, but
> if there are not enough sessions or there is another bottleneck it might
> not help.

I do not think I have a bottleneck, I would like to try tuning legato
first. These tape drives can write upto 50mb/sec or even more.

thanks

Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT peevro.co DOT uk> wrote on 07/26/2007 10:18:04
AM:

> E Gold wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > I run legato 732 on win2003.
> > I have 6 fiber LTO2 tape drives.
> > The server has 4 cpus and 4GB ram, and 5 Gigabit nic cards in a team.
> >
> > All my legato server settings are the default. Tape drive target
sessions
> > is 4.
> >
> > I backup my lotus server daily, its 800gb and it takes 10 hours.
> >
> > How can I increase the speed of this backup with tuning legato?
> >
> > I do not think the network is the bottleneck as I recently added more
nic
> > cards and it didn't help.
> >
> > Should I change target sessions or parallelism?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > Evan Gold
> > Financial Security Assurance
> > 31 West 52nd Street
> > New York, New York 10019
> > 212.893.2762
> >
> Hard to tell without a bit more information. How many of your tape
> drives are in use during the backup? How many sessions are being
> written? What is the observed write speed on each drive? What is the
> parallelism setting for the client?
>
> It's possible that lowering the target sessions may improve the overall
> speed, possibly at the expense of throughput on individual drives, but
> if there are not enough sessions or there is another bottleneck it might
> not help.

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient (or an employee or agent responsible to
deliver it to the intended recipient), you may not copy or deliver this
message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly
notify the sender by reply e-mail.