Networker

Re: [Networker] Performance Tuning backup

2007-07-26 10:21:01
Subject: Re: [Networker] Performance Tuning backup
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:18:04 +0100
E Gold wrote:
Hi all

I run legato 732 on win2003.
I have 6 fiber LTO2 tape drives.
The server has 4 cpus and 4GB ram, and 5 Gigabit nic cards in a team.

All my legato server settings are the default. Tape drive target sessions
is 4.

I backup my lotus server daily, its 800gb and it takes 10 hours.

How can I increase the speed of this backup with tuning legato?

I do not think the network is the bottleneck as I recently added more nic
cards and it didn't help.

Should I change target sessions or parallelism?

Thanks,

Evan Gold
Financial Security Assurance
31 West 52nd Street
New York, New York 10019
212.893.2762

Hard to tell without a bit more information. How many of your tape drives are in use during the backup? How many sessions are being written? What is the observed write speed on each drive? What is the parallelism setting for the client?

It's possible that lowering the target sessions may improve the overall speed, possibly at the expense of throughput on individual drives, but if there are not enough sessions or there is another bottleneck it might not help.