Networker

Re: [Networker] Do Clients have to be in DNS to work ?

2007-07-25 01:53:06
Subject: Re: [Networker] Do Clients have to be in DNS to work ?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:50:20 +1000

(Andrew wrote:)

> All clients have to be able to do a forward and reverse lookup of the
> master server and necessary storage nodes and vice versa.  This does not
> mean you have to have them all in DNS, adding the entries to the
> relevant host files would do it just as well.

(Paul asked:)

> I'm having a problem getting two new Windows clients to backup/probe
> (probe results below). Is it a requirement that all Networker clients be
> defined in DNS to some capacity ? These two clients are not in our DNS,
> they are located in our DMZ and we are reaching them via their IP
> addresses only. Our firewall rules for Networker clients allow
> everything needed for backups to work with all DMZ clients, but those
> are also in our DNS, unlike these two. Will we have to add these 2
> clients to our DNS also to get them to even probe successfully ?

Paul, looking at your savegroup output, the clients as defined in NetWorker
are defined via the IP addresses.

This makes me wonder, if you say you've already put the clients in hosts,
how did you define in them in the relevant hosts files?

I.e., say you've added a client of 192.168.1.172 to NetWorker; what is the
hosts entry for that client? To have any chance of it working, it would need
a hosts entry of:

192.168.1.172 192.168.1.172

In short, for better diagnostics, it would be wise to remove the clients
that have been created with IP addresses as their names, and recreate them
as real host names based on entries in the 'hosts' file on the server,
(storage node if you're using it) and hosts 'hosts' file on the individual
clients.

E.g.,

192.168.1.172 dmz-client-a

Create a client 'dmz-client-a', and make sure that the hosts file on the
backup server, as well as the machine with IP address 192.168.1.172 have
entries of the above in them.

(Paul's probe results were:)

> ----------------------------------  Probe Results --------------
> C:\Documents and Settings\user>savegrp -p -vv CorpGenTemp
> 07/24/07 12:22:20 savegrp: Diagnostic: Reverse DNS lookup failed for
> host 192.16 8.1.172, address 192.168.1.172
> 192.168.1.172:All                         level=incr
> 192.168.1.170:All                         level=incr
> 07/24/07 12:22:20 savegrp: Run up to 12 clients in parallel
> 07/24/07 12:22:20 savegrp: 192.168.1.172:probe started

It's possible that the naming of a client with an IP address is causing some
confusion in NetWorker; alternatively, I noticed in another section of the
probe results that I snipped that you got a "no route to host" error; if you
still get this after the changes above, it could be worthwhile investigating
whether you need any additional routes setup on the backup server to enable
it to talk to the DMZ hosts. (Or for them to talk back.)

Cheers,

Preston.

--
http://www.anywebdb.com