Networker

[Networker] Networker on Windows 2003--move to Windows 2003 x64??

2007-07-20 10:57:43
Subject: [Networker] Networker on Windows 2003--move to Windows 2003 x64??
From: Kevin Malone <kcmalone AT SALISBURY DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:54:51 -0400
We had been experiencing ssid errors abound on Networker 7.2.2 on large volumes
(SAN and local storage) on Windows 2003/2000 full backups for some time.

At this point we have been told that we are one of a very few clients who are
experiencing a WINDOWS problem that is connected with the amount of paged pool
allocated when backing up large volumes.  After a few months and 3 techs, I
finally spoke with someone who worked with me from EMC to narrow this down to
this particular issue and after setting the page pool to maximum and the
trimming of paged pool at 40%, along with lowering both the server parallelism
and savegrp parallelism, it looks like we might be on the verge of solving the
problem.

Having said all of that, after reading far more about paged pool and memory
caching than I ever wanted to know,  it appears that Windows 2003 paged pool
max is roughly 900 megs, but Windows 2003 x64 paged pool max is 1 T.

1.  Is there anyone else who has experienced this paged pool issue with
Networker Server on Windows 2003 server?

2. Is there anyone who is running Networker Server 7.2.x or 7.3.2 jumbo (which
seems to be the consensus of most stable 7.3.x version) on Windows 2003 x64 and
what have your experiences been?  We are considering upgrading to this to solve
all this paged pool nonsense.