Networker

Re: [Networker] Setting up a tape library on RH Linux via fibre

2007-07-20 10:47:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Setting up a tape library on RH Linux via fibre
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:44:20 -0400
On Jul 19, 2007, at 6:16 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

First, what does /proc/scsi/scsi look like? Does the robot appear there?
If not, it's almost certainly not going to be visible to inquire, no
matter the flags.

Next, what id AND LUN *should* the robot be appearing at?  If you know
that (or can guess) AND the robot doesn't appear in /proc/scsi/ scsi, it's
likely just a matter of poking the Linux kernel and telling it to
re-examine a particular host/bus/target/lun address to see if there's
something there.

For example, if you believe the robot should appear on the same controller as your "lower" two drives, but at lun 1 instead of lun 0, then look at
/proc/scsi/scsi, find out what SCSI HBA those drives are on (e.g.
something like scsi2), and then prod the kernel to examine lun 1 on those
h/b/t/l combos:

Tim; this is very informative. I realized I had failed to connect up a f/c cable for the robotic controller, so I did that, then I power cycled the tape library and rebooted the server. I also set the bootparam to use 8 SCSI devices and I downloaded that SCSI utility, but it doesn't tell me what I need to know. The "inquire -l" command shows five Qualstar devices (which makes sense because there's four LTO-3 drives in it, plus the controller), but all the device files show the same thing from that sq_inq utility and "inquire -l". When I run jbconfig, it can't still find the tape library.

To answer Darren's questions, this is a new Qualstar TLS-88132 with four LTO-3 drives in it. This tape library has only one fibre channel port going out of it, so I connected it to a Qlogic SANbox Express 1400 f/c switch and I have five cables running from the switch to the Linux server.

Here's what "inquire -l" says ...

[email protected]:QualstarVFS212          T522|Processor, /dev/sg3
                                           S/N: 100000501300301f0000
WWNN: 600501300000301F0000000000000000
                                           PORT:00000001
[email protected]:QualstarVFS212          T522|Processor, /dev/sg4
                                           S/N: 100000501300301f0000
WWNN: 600501300000301F0000000000000000
                                           PORT:00000001
[email protected]:QualstarVFS212          T522|Processor, /dev/sg5
                                           S/N: 100000501300301f0000
WWNN: 600501300000301F0000000000000000
                                           PORT:00000001
[email protected]:QualstarVFS212          T522|Processor, /dev/sg6
                                           S/N: 100000501300301f0000
WWNN: 600501300000301F0000000000000000
                                           PORT:00000001
[email protected]:QualstarVFS212          T522|Processor, /dev/sg7
                                           S/N: 100000501300301f0000
WWNN: 600501300000301F0000000000000000
                                           PORT:00000001

and /proc/scsi/scsi contains the following info for this tape library:

Host: scsi3 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Qualstar Model: VFS212           Rev: T522
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi5 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Qualstar Model: VFS212           Rev: T522
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi6 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Qualstar Model: VFS212           Rev: T522
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi7 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Qualstar Model: VFS212           Rev: T522
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi8 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00

--
Stan Horwitz
Temple University

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: The information contained in this e-mail, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Temple University. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the e-mail. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.