Networker

Re: [Networker] ndmp from a netapp file

2007-07-19 09:56:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] ndmp from a netapp file
From: "Kuin, CNM" <CKuin AT WLZ DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:42:52 +0200

> We take a remote ndmp backup from a netapp filer.
> The executed command is nsrndmp_save -T dump and savesets = ALL
>
> After we delete some files on the netapp files, it is not unusual that
> the backup fails half way through the backup with a client stopped
> communicating error.
>
> It appears that the ndmp backup creates a snap shot and its backed up
> from there, but I cant find if we are doing anything from our side to
> casue this or
> if this is normal behavior.
>
> There is no savepnc dictated.
> I'm trying to figure out if we are doing anything explicitly
> to create a
> snapshot or its just happening as a function of the ndmp backup.  In
> addition, I am assumgin that the ALL doesn not include snapshot
> filesystems.  Can anyone enlighten me?

On a NetApp filer it is normal to make a snapshot and then start the stream to
tape.
It is not normal however that it stops with a communication error...
Is the filer configured for NDMP4? Which version of ONTAP? Mayby NOW has a bug
reported about this issue.

And AFAIK does ALL not include the 'snapshot filesystem'.

With regards,
Cor Kuin
Sysadmin Waterlandziekenhuis
The Netherlands