Networker

Re: [Networker] Hosts file on a DNS Server

2007-07-18 11:37:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Hosts file on a DNS Server
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:34:16 +0100
Terry,
        The simple answer is - correct the DNS entries. Now, that may
seem a little too obvious but, if you think about how Networker works
and look back through the archives, you'll see that DNS lookup and
reverse lookup play a major part in the smooth running of Networker.

        If you have to get rid of your host files, then make sure that
you can do a nslookup of the long name, short name and IP address of the
backup server from the client and the client from the backup server. If
any of these fail then you need to troubleshoot the DNS side of things
until they all work (a bit off topic for this list).

        Once you've sussed out your DNS issues you'll find that adding
new clients becomes a much simpler affair.

Regards
Bob