Networker

Re: [Networker] Removing Save Set's from tapes

2007-07-17 11:24:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] Removing Save Set's from tapes
From: Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:22:07 -0700
> I need to remove some save sets from some tapes. Does anybody know the
> command line to delete save sets? We are running AIX.

You generally cannot modify data in the middle of a tape without also
erasing any data following it.  So Networker does not "remove"
individual savesets.

You can remove the knowledge of the saveset from Networker's databases
so it would be difficult to find in the future, but the data itself
remains on the tape.

If you must remove the data, then use 'nsrstage' or 'nsrclone' to copy
the data that you want to keep to a new volume, then recycle the old
volume.