Networker

Re: [Networker] SOPHOS and incremental Backups

2007-07-10 08:28:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] SOPHOS and incremental Backups
From: Kobus Bensch NF <kbensch AT FULLNET.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 13:25:08 +0100
Hi

I had the same problem at a client of mine where they run Symantec. Large backups eating up tapes with nightly incementals. After a lot of time and frustration we had no resolution from either our support comapnay, EMC or Symantec. So we changed the way we do things. Nightly full AV scan has been moved to weekly to coincide with either a full or level 5. At least we saw more tapes released and our backups no longer overran into the next day, which, with 800 plus servers to backup, could be a bit of a problem.

The reasoning behind it was that the resident scanner should catch any new viruses from new files anyway and that the nightly scan can be moved to a weekly scan.

From the posts here it seems that the problem is now spreading. When we had the problem we were still running 7.2.2 and did not want to touch 7.3 due to its many challenges.

HTH

Kobus

Stuart Whitby wrote:
Whatever the reason that NetWorker backs these files up, it's a Sophos bug.  Running a
scan shouldn't change anything to do with files that it doesn't change, and for NW to
back these up it's either changing the modified time, create time or setting the archive
bit.  The only thing that you can do within NetWorker to counteract this is to set
"NSR_AVOID_ARCHIVE=YES" as an environment variable and restart NW on that
client, but this will only work if it's an archive bit issue.
Out of interest, I found a problem in Symantec Antivirus recently with a memory leak in version 10.0 while scanning snapshot files for backup. Upgrading to 10.1 (latest version) fixed this and made the server a whole lot more reliable. I'm unsure whether this would have had a problem under normal filesystem backups, but this may be worth watching for others. Watch the private bytes and working set of rtvscan.exe for regular growth. Cheers, Stuart.