Networker

Re: [Networker] Handling Savegroup Completion Notices

2007-07-09 10:10:36
Subject: Re: [Networker] Handling Savegroup Completion Notices
From: John Stoffel <john.stoffel AT TAEC.TOSHIBA DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:01:08 -0400
nsr> We have about 500 savegroups that run each day.

Ugh!  That's a huge number.

nsr>  Back in the day when we only had about 20 of them, having our
nsr> operations center monitor them was not a problem.  However now
nsr> they are about ready to take me out back and flog me.  I was
nsr> wondering how others with this many savegroups handle monitoring
nsr> for failures, etc.  Do you have people manually check the email
nsr> notices, or do you use scripts or a monitoring system to check
nsr> them?

I wrote a script called 'nss' (Networker Savegroup Summarizer) which
parses the output of savegroup reports and sends a nicely formatted
email report.  It can be found on

      http://www.stoffel.org/john/sources/nss/

Feel free to ask questions.

nsr> Here's basically what I'm trying to accomplish.

nsr> * Ensure all scheduled savesets are running.  Alert on any that
nsr> have not ran in the last 24 hours.  I've ran across a few
nsr> instances where savegroups in Networker that will go off in lala
nsr> land and simply not run.  There is nothing in the logs, no
nsr> notifications sent, they simply don't run. Had I not had our ops
nsr> center watching this, they would have not been found.  I've not
nsr> been able to reproduce this behavior, so opening a case has been
nsr> difficult.

Sorry, can't help you here.

nsr> * Alert on any failures or aborts

NSS can help you here.

nsr> * Alert on any backups that take more than 24 hrs.

NSS can sorta help, but I've also written another script which looks
at the system once a day and reports on any still running savegroups
across multiple servers.  I'll see about cleaning it up and sharing it.

John