Networker

[Networker] ADIC Scalar i500 cleaning notification and "MOVE MEDIUM" errors

2007-07-07 10:03:29
Subject: [Networker] ADIC Scalar i500 cleaning notification and "MOVE MEDIUM" errors
From: Paul Robertson <probertson AT UNIXWAY DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 09:58:24 -0400
Folks,

We're running nw_7_3_2_jumbo.Build.11 on Solaris 10 with an ADIC Scalar i500 library shared with a second storage node.

Over the past few months, we've experienced several occasions where the Networker server loses the ability to manipulate tapes in the library. Typically, the error message sequence is as follows:

nsrmmgd: lcpd 1 at host bkpnyc02 reported error 'Jukebox:si500a
     access:/dev/scsi/changer/c2t500308C09A5C809Dd1 MOVE MEDIUM failed
     error:5' for the command `5'.
nsrd: [Jukebox `si500a', operation #229]. Jukebox:si500a
     access:/dev/scsi/changer/c2t500 308C09A5C809Dd1 MOVE MEDIUM
     failed error:5
nsrmmgd: Jukebox:si500a access:/dev/scsi/changer/c2t500308C09A5C809Dd1
     MOVE MEDIUM failed error:5
nsrmmgd: Device `rd=racnyc03:/dev/rmt/0cbn' is unavailable. The device
     is currently loade d with a volume from slot `44'.
nsrd: [Jukebox `si500a', operation # 229]. Finished with status: retryable
nsrmmgd: RAP error: Invalid resource data.
nsrmmgd: Cannot update operation status resource (instance 229).

Once we see these errors, we cannot load or unload tapes via the gui
or nsrjb. The only solutions seems to be to restart networker via
"/etc/init.d/networker stop; /etc/init.d/networker start".

This morning we had the same problem and I noticed that the tape
library logs had requested cleaning of a tape drive just prior to the
"MOVE MEDIUM" error.  The tape library is configured with two
dedicated cleaning slots, and there are fresh cleaning tapes in those
slots. ADIC tells us that the library _will_ automatically clean the
drive, and that these messages simply indicate that the drive
requested an autoclean i.e. no operator action is required.

However, looking back over the past few months, the "MOVE MEDIUM"
errors always occur just after a tape clean request. Is anyone else
experiencing a similar problem?

Cheers,

Paul

--