Networker

Re: [Networker] File query via ssid

2007-07-06 15:37:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] File query via ssid
From: "Wood, R A (Bob)" <WoodR AT CHEVRON DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:33:32 +0100
Just a quick question - what IS the goal here?

I think you are probably trying to something that Networker can't do. Let's
look at how networker stores its info and see if we can, either explain why it
can't be done, or point out a way that it can be done (depending on what you
want to do of course).

Now, the following is all by observation of Networker over a ten year span so
there is a possibility that I have missed something (either I haven't come
across it or things work differently to the way I understand it - so evaluate
and use/lose what you want)

Networker backs up the actual data into savesets - it refers to these savesets
by SSID (no rocket science yet, then...) The content of these savesets is
logged in the client index. (That way you can have different browse and
retention times). A client index is trimmed as browse period expires.

Mminfo never did know what the contents of the saveset contained (just the fact
it was called C:\ (or whatever) and belonged to client x, and the other
metadata stuff like where it can be found, etc.)

Now, you can recover individual files from a saveset by specifying the full
path of the files you want to restore and doing a saveset restore, but you
can't go browsing for them without the client index.

Now, back to the original question, what are you trying to end up with, maybe
there's another way to do it :)

Bob Wood